Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My 25th Birthday!

So my birthday was a week ago from today and boy was I spoiled! A few weeks before my birthday I had mentioned I wanted to do something big for my 25th birthday...that's half way to 50 and should be celebrated with something grand, right?! Since we are in Mexico I thought it would be fun to have a party at our house with a Pinata and invite all our friends we have made here. As time got closer I hadn't planned anything and both my husband and I were swamped with work so we hadn't really thought about it. But now that my birthday has come and gone I'm so grateful the way I was able to celebrate turning 25. This year is definitely going to be an amazing year for me!

So you might ask...what did you end up doing on your birthday?

Our pancakes didn't look exactly like this
but they tasted just as delicious!
Well, let me tell you! First off, my husband made me a delicious breakfast of cinnamon roll pancakes (thanks pinterest for the idea!). They were absolutely delicious, not the healthiest option but hey it was my birthday so calories don't count. 
I then opened my gifts. And wow did my husband spoil me! He had given me 25 gifts to open, one for each year of my life. One of which he had stayed up all night, 4:00am that morning, making it for me. I can't believe he spent so much time on it but I'm so grateful for that gift. It was a book that he made with pictures and quotes and then 25 things he loves about me. Also, included in there were some of my other gifts (like coupons for breakfast in bed, etc.). He also included areas that were blank which I need to add written text into. For example, one section in the book says 25 things I have accomplished so far in my life, and I have to fill in those twenty-five things. Basically my husband is amazing and I love that little book. I will cherish it forever! It also got me thinking about where I am right now in my life and how grateful I am for all the things I have been able to do. Never would I have thought that on my 25th birthday I would be living in Mexico and teaching English to Spanish speakers. Life is such a beautiful thing and full of all sorts of adventures that help us grow and discover who we are.
As you can see most of the stuff is candy...Devin and I never
 really splurge on buying sweets so he decided that's what
I needed for my birthday. But he also gave me some other things
 I love, like candles, a nutrition book on my kindle, and 25 songs!

Some of the other gifts were just things I have craved since being here in Mexico. Like a Twix bar. We have only found one store that sells them and I have not splurged yet to buy one so he gave it to me for my birthday. He also spent a lot of time trying to find chocolate covered almonds for me because I feel like those are the perfect little snack when you want something sweet and I have been craving them. I couldn't believe he actually found them! Again, I'm so lucky to have such a loving husband and for all he did for my birthday! He spent a lot of time making sure my birthday was not just another day of the week, but actually special.

One of my favorite things to do here in San Cristobal is to walk around the markets. That is definitely something I am going to miss once we leave. It's so fun seeing all the bright colors and the fresh produce. Well, there is a newer market pretty close by our house that we have never been to and since it was a gorgeous day we decided to walk out there and enjoy the market and the sunshine. I absolutely love walking around here, especially with my hubster by my side. Anyways, the market was a lot of fun to go to. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to spend there because I had to teach an English class that afternoon, but it was still an enjoyable outing.

Trying out one of my birthday gifts...a
confetti popper (I was terrified)
Later that night I skyped my family while Devin was teaching his night classes. I'm so grateful for skype! It was fun to catch up with family. Once Devin got home we had cake. And lucky for me Devin made a very special cake...not on purpose but it ended up tasting amazing! The night before my birthday he was making my cake and instead of putting 1/4 cup of cocoa he accidentally put 1/4 cup of cinnamon. We didn't want to waste the batter he had made so we just added in the amount of cocoa needed and hoped that it would still turn out. So I ended up having a chocolate cinnamon birthday cake with cream cheese frosting. Let me just say...it was amazing!

I'm officially 25! Crazy!

Me with some of the kids I was
working with this Saturday
THEN....on Saturdays Devin and I always volunteer at Yo'onik Learning Center in Zinacantan. I had made 2 cakes to share with them to celebrate my birthday and give them a little treat. When I walked in the door I was shocked to see that 20 kids had shown up and a group of them ran up to me and gave me a huge hug and told me Feliz Cumpleanos! Somehow they had found out that it was my birthday. And I thought all along me bringing cake would be a little surprise for them. 
Throughout the afternoon volunteering at Yo'onik, kids would come up to me with a drawing or a card and wish me happy birthday. There was a group of girls who even ran across the street to a little store and bought me some peso candies. I absolutely love volunteering at this school. This was the best way that I could spend my 25th birthday! They truly bring me so much happiness! I love each one of them as I would my own child. I wish I could adopt them all!
What I did for my birthday might not sound grand to some people, but when you are living in humble circumstances like we are now it was pretty grand to me. Service always makes me happy and I couldn't have been happier this birthday. I wouldn't have wanted to celebrate my birthday any other way. 

Some of the kids hiding from the camera because they were
making their cards for me and wanted it to be a surprise.
I absolutely love this girl! I have been working closely with her
the past couple of Saturdays on Math and just love this picture of her.
(usually Mexicans don't smile for the camera and sometimes
don't even look at the camera  so this was a rare shot we got)
This is one of Devin's favorite girls at the school.
Me helping some kids with Math

4 comments:

  1. Lucky! I loved this. Honestly, it made me tear up a tiny bit. You two are so awesome! I wish we could spend more time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I loved reading about your birthday. It sounded so great! Emperador... are those, those yummy cookies?! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, yes we do need to spend more time together. Where are you and your husband living now a days? You guys should come down for a visit :)

    And Casandra, Emperadors are those yummy cookies that we fell in love with on the MesoAmerica tour and it's now Devin and mine favorite treat to have! Hope you guys are doing well! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of those little girls look like me when I was there age! Love this post. Happy Birthday. 25 is the new 21, and don't you forget it.

    ReplyDelete